Frequently Asked Questions
What is Safe Place?
Safe Place is a national youth outreach program designed to provide access to immediate help and safety for all young people in crisis. Nearly 20,000 locations across the country extend the doors of the local youth shelter by displaying Safe Place’s recognizable yellow and black diamond-shaped logo. Partnering businesses and community buildings that appeal to youth – such as fast food restaurants, convenience stores, fire stations, schools, public buses and libraries – connect kids looking for help with a local youth service agency. Most Safe Place agencies reach out to youth between the ages of 12 to 17 years old, although some agencies serve older and younger youth.
How does Safe Place work?
Should a youth need assistance, they can depend on any location with the Safe Place sign. The following steps describe how Safe Place is intended to work:
- Step One – The youth arrives at a designated Safe Place location (identified by a Safe Place sign or decal) and tells the first available employee that they need help.
- Step Two – The employee finds a quiet, comfortable place for the youth to wait while they call the local Safe Place agency.
- Step Three – The Safe Place agency calls the location back to identify a trained representative who will come to meet the young person at the location.
- Step Four – Within 20-30 minutes or less, the Safe Place volunteer or staff member will arrive to talk with the youth and transport them to the agency, if necessary, for counseling, support, a place to stay or other resources.
- Step Five – Once at the Safe Place agency, counselors meet with the youth and provide support, resources and help. Family members or guardians are called to let them know that their child is safe. Agency staff make sure the youth and their families receive the help and professional referrals they need.
Are there any national resources regarding Safe Place?
Yes. Please visit the links below:
TXT4Help Text “Safe” with your current location (address/city/state) to 69866