Bold text = Kids can Help
6 tablespoons butter, divided
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 whole wheat tortillas
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
½ cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large sauce pan, sauté apples and cinnamon in 1 tablespoon butter until tender.
3. Spoon apples mixture down center of each tortilla. Roll tortillas, place seam side down in baking dish.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine sugars, 5 tablespoons butter, and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Pour sauce over enchiladas. Let stand for 30 minutes to soak.
6. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
7. Cut enchiladas in half and serve warm.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving): CALORIES 244 ; FAT 8.8g; PROTEIN 2g; CARB 44g; FIBER 2g; CALCIUM 26mg; IRON 1mg; VITAMIN A (RE) 76mcg; VITAMIN C 3mg; FOLATE 5mcg
This recipe is can be found in the 4th cookbook, “Let’s Cook with Kids, Vamos a Cocinar con los Niños” created by Northeast Valley Health Corporation WIC Program. The digital version can be found online at: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/wicworks/Pages/WICNECookingwithChildren.aspx.