Workforce Connection Young Adult Program staff are back in the office full-time. However, visitors will be seen by appointment only. Please call our office to schedule an appointment. (559) 263-1100.
New enrollments and workshop instruction are being conducted remotely or online.
Mendota Summer Internships
Fresno EOC Training & Employment Services is providing opportunities to young adults living in Mendota to participate in a summer internship program. Fresno EOC successfully pairs young adults with local employers in rapid growing industries. The Mendota summer internship program is designed to target high school graduates transitioning into post-secondary education, offering them the opportunity to be mentored by a leader in their respective industry.
About Workforce Connection Young Adult Program
Provides services that will keep currently enrolled students engaged in education, the pursuit of high school graduation and becoming a positive contributing member of society. It is the goal of this program to assist students with increasing their academic competencies and preparing them to enter the world of work or higher education while also helping the student to shape their own destiny. We serve both in school and out of school individuals. We attempt to re-engage out of school individuals in high school to facilitate gaining their high school diploma and entering advance training or unsubsidized employment.
Low-income youth ages 14 through 24 out of school or attending high school or alternative education program. The Workforce Connection Young Adult Program concentrates on serving youth residing south of Shields Ave. within the metropolitan Fresno area.
What we offer:
- Tutoring, study skills training, instruction, and evidence-based dropout prevention and recovery strategies that lead to the completion of the requirements for a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent or for a recognized post-secondary credential;
- Alternative secondary school services, or dropout recovery services, as appropriate;
- Paid and unpaid work experiences that have as a component academic and occupational education, which may include summer employment opportunities and other employment opportunities available throughout the school year; pre-apprenticeship programs; internships and job shadowing; and on-the-job training opportunities;
- Occupational skill training, which shall include priority consideration for training programs that lead to recognized post-secondary credentials that are aligned with in demand industry sectors or occupations in the local area involved,
- Education offered concurrently with and in the same context as workforce preparation activities and training for a specific occupation or occupational cluster;
- Leadership development opportunities, which may include community service and peer-centered activities encouraging responsibility and other positive social and civic behaviors, as appropriate;
- Supportive services;
- Adult mentoring for the period of participation and a subsequent period, for a total of not less than 12 months;
- Follow up services for not less than 12 months after the completion of participation
- Comprehensive guidance and counseling,
- Financial literacy education;
- Entrepreneurial skills training;
- Services that provide labor market and employment information about in-demand industry sectors or occupations available in the local area, such as career awareness, career counseling, and career exploration services; and
- Other activities that help youth.
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Primarily, Fresno EOC Workforce Connection Young Adult Program concentrates on serving youth residing south of Shields Ave. within the metropolitan Fresno area.
frequently asked questions
How long does it take to complete the program?
If you follow thru and stay on track (keep all scheduled appointments), the average time enrolled in the program is 1 year.
What do I have to do to enroll in the program?
1st step would be orientation; 2nd step, assignment to an Academic & Career Advisor to direct you through the program; 3rd step, Eligibility to see if you qualify.
If I qualify for the program, is transportation provided?
Once enrolled in the program, your Academic Career Advisor will work with you to determine if supportive services are needed and if you are eligible to receive them. If determined that you need transportation assistance, bus tokens will be provided for appointments.
Is your program the same as Summer Youth?
Unlike Summer Youth, the Workforce Connection Young Adult Program’s main objective is Academic Enrichment. Our focus is to provide tutoring and workshops designed to help the enrolled students bring up their grade point averages. After completing certain components (tutorial, workshops), customers can be rewarded with a 6-8 week Work Experience assignment.
What ages do you serve under this program?
The program serves youth ages 14 through 18.
Is Workforce Connection Young Adult Program a work program?
No, the Workforce Connection Young Adult Program is an Academic Tutorial and Career Readiness Program.
What are the enrollment requirements?
Aside from the age requirements, youth can be either currently in school or out of school, must have a need to improve overall.
Academic competencies in reading and/or math, and live or attend school within the Fresno or Central Unified School District boundaries.